Monday, October 6, 2008

Social economic factor

I haven't posted in a while. I'm trying to get used to keeping a journal on line. My last class started me thinking about how ones social economic status along side race play an important role in access to resources (jobs, education, housing, food, and the list goes on). I always thought race was the only determining factor. As we talked more about Unequal Childhoods I began to see the connections. Children whose parents are part of the middle class will have greater access to better schools, activities that will prepare them for success in their adult lives and socially developed communities. on the other hand, children from working class and poor families will have little access to excellent educational opportunities because of the neighborhoods where they live and the expectations for achievement that are associated with their social economic status. Also many of the parent don't have access to the knowledge about scholarships and other resources that could get their children access to top schools in their surrounding areas.

For me,being a product an urban center and being the first in my family to go to college, I didn't have access to many resources because my parents didn't know where to look for assistance. Not until I started seeking assistance from close friends who had graduated high school and went through the process did I learn about scholarships and grants for college education.

Maybe in the next 50 years things will change . People will access to opportunity based on their desire, hard work, and determination.

1 comment:

rg said...

Yes, but this is one of the places where I squarely place the blame on schools. Public schools are ideally placed to teach kids about access, the educate them about what resources are out there. But they only do that for a select few, and relegate the rest to figuring it out on their own. You can't decide who gets and who doesn't in public schools. That's not their purpose. Sorry, that was a minirant.